Sunday, June 28, 2009

Are You the Gate Keeper?


I am the Key Master. At least at work anyway. I started my job on the 15th of June and shortly thereafter discovered I am the Key Master of the Tooele Army Depot. Let me explain, the Depot is a weapons storage facility which supports the entire Department of Defense. My primary duty is handling the 3,000+ keys to pretty much the entire Depot. When I am not dealing with keys I work on tracking ammunition movements and classifications. This is a fancy way of saying "Data Entry." That is my job in a nutshell. The job is not bad and I really can't complain. I must admit the transition to civilian life has been awkward. Showing up to work in blue jeans and a t-shirt is nice and I didn't even shave on Thursday and Friday and nobody said a thing. Another tidbit about the job is the pay. I must confess I was a little worried about the pay. But I figured since the Depot works 4 ten hour shifts, I could always find a side job on the weekend. Little did I know that since my position supports the entire depot I am guaranteed 30 minutes of O.T. everyday and 10.5 hours of O.T. every Friday. With the O.T. I just got myself a hefty little raise.

Overall, the job is going good. We are still trying to get settled in which has been difficult with the kids getting sick and Katie getting bronchitis (one week prior to our health insurance kicking in, Murphy sucks). On a political side note, even though we didn't have Health Insurance Katie still was able to see a Doc for a reasonable price. I thought people without health insurance were having a crisis?

1 comments:

Katie Cannon said...

You are so funny - I love the picture, key master!