Thursday, December 11, 2008

My New Workout


I have heard and had always been interested in a thing called "Crossfit." (http://www.crossfit.com/) Well, I had found a crossfit gym here in Valdosta and thought that it would be a great way to get myself in better shape. Let me first explain a little more about crossfit. Crossfit is a high intensity workout focused on using exercises that can benefit you in normal activities. For example, one may be able to bench a massive amount of weight but being able to bench press does not translate well when working on a project in the yard.


I started doing the actual workouts this last Monday and the only thing I can say is Holy Crap. The warm-up is harder then most peoples workout. The warmup's vary but usually include a half-mile run, 40 push-ups, 40 sit-ups, 15 pull-ups, 30 walking lunges (per leg), 15 hand stand push-ups, 20 ball squats and 40 back extensions.


After the warm up the real workout begins. The workout in the picture involved 5 exercises. You do as many reps as you can at each workout for 1 minute. The exercise I was doing is a sumo deadlift with a high pull (start with a wide stance deadlift and lift the bar to your chin), after one minute you immediately go to the next station which was a box jump, the next station was an overhead press, then you row for a minute, the last station are called wall balls (squat holding a 20 pound medicine ball and on the way up throw the ball to the middle dot on the wall, when you catch the ball return to the squat position). We did three sets of this with one minute rest in between sets.
Needless to say, I am grateful for my down day today. Another great thing about crossfit is each workout is always different. I was talking to somebody else who has been doing crossfit since September and has not done the same workout twice. Another guy I met is a combat rescue officer (AF Pararescue, our elite special forces), he told me that he is stronger from doing crossfit then when he was going through his training.
This is a long post and this will not be the last time you hear about. I am really excited to find a non frilly gym that gives you a great workout.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do your hurt much?!

I've been working my core and want to die...

--Penny